A cypriot tradition begins...
The story of Aphrodite Delights began in 1895, when Sophocles Athanasiou returned to his home village of Geroskipou in Cyprus after many years of traveling and living overseas.
He established the delights industry and his 'Loukoumi' soon became a local favorite.
Word quickly spread to the rest of the island and people began to travel to the village especially to indulge in these sweets, making Geroskipou synonymous with this fine confectionery.
Sophocles retired in 1920 and left a fully operational factory to his son-in-law Gabriel Hadjizinoviou, who continued using the original recipe. In 1925, he was invited to take part in the British Empire Exhibition at the newly-built Wembley Stadium (then Empire Stadium) where he was awarded a certificate in recognition of his products.